The Local Welfare Scheme
During the current national lockdown, schools will continue supporting children and young people eligible for free school meals whilst at home.
It is recognised with the Local Welfare Scheme that some families who are struggling financially and are eligible for benefits tested free school meals have difficulty covering the period when children and young people are off school during the school holidays. This scheme will reach and help those most in need by supporting eligible families with the cost of food over the school holidays.
The scheme also provides families with support towards food, energy and water bills or other essentials. This is given either in vouchers, emergency food parcels or with credit for energy.
- you must be a legal resident in the UK
- aged 16 or over
- have no other access to funds or enough resources to pay for food or heat
- your situation poses a serious health or safety risk to you or your immediate family
- if you are a member of the armed forces and do not meet residency criteria, you should demonstrate a strong connection to Warwickshire
The scheme also offers help to those whose needs are more long term, who are vulnerable through an ongoing set of circumstances rather than an immediate crisis. This includes:
- Care Leavers
- Victims of domestic violence
- Former armed forces personnel
- Those resettling in a community after a custodial term
This may take the form of furnishing accommodation with basic furniture and appliances.
The Local Welfare Scheme can also direct customers to other agencies and organisations that can offer help and support.
How to apply:
Please call one of the trained advisors. They will ask questions about your circumstances that you must answer honestly.
If you qualify,
- You will receive a voucher and you will be able to collect your food parcels from one of the scheme’s partners in your area, or
- You will receive an energy voucher to top up your energy meters.
Warwickshire residents can apply by:
- Calling 0800 4081448 or 01926 359182
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and telephone number and we will call you back.
Monday to Thursday from 9am to 5pm
Friday from 9am to 4:30pm
They are currently receiving a high number of enquiries so be patient and they will support you when they can.
Follow the link below for more information: https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/localwelfarescheme